Solar electricity storage batteries are thought to have sparked a large house fire in Woolloongabba this afternoon. Fire crews who battled a Boxing Day blaze in inner Brisbane have warned of the dangers of solar-charged home batteries.
The fire took hold of the lower-level and garage inside a School Street house in Woolloongabba just before 2pm.
Sixteen firefighters spent an hour bringing the fire under control and another hour to extinguish the flames.
The homeowner told reporters they had solar panels connected to lithium-ion batteries and suspected the fire started nearby, a view shared by firefighter Malcolm Muscat.
"[There were] approximately three battery banks so lithium-ion, lead-acid batteries, they burn with a ferocity that moves through the house quickly," Mr Muscat said.
Also on Wednesday, a Gold Coast home was engulfed by flames just after 10.30pm and it took fire crews more than two hours to extinguish the blaze.
Emergency services were called to the Mill Road house in Steiglitz and found the flames had taken hold by the time they arrived.
The residents escaped unharmed and fire crews wrapped up at the two-storey home about 1am.